Harriet R. King Hufstedler Modern Foreign Language Department Endowed Scholarship
This endowed scholarship was established by Harriet Rogers King Hufstedler. Ms. Hufstedler was born June 27, 1912, and with the exception of the World War II years, lived in Florence all of her life. She was the only child of Virginia Irvine Sherrod and Benjamin Armstead Rogers, Jr. Her family was among the earliest settlers and developers of this area in North Alabama. Her father, uncle and grandfather founded Rogers Department Store. Her maternal family was instrumental in the development of the pioneer steamboat lines and railroad connections of the Shoals area. Ms. Hufstedler and her first husband, Madding King, raised their children at Irvine Place where five generations of her family had lived. Irvine Place is now known as Coby Hall, home of the Office of Admissions on the UNA campus. She was always interested in North Alabama’s treasured landmarks, many of which were associated with her Irvine, Foster and Watkins families, namely Courtview, now known as Rogers Hall, Hickory Place, Mapleton and, Irvine Place. Ms. Hufstedler was a graduate of Stuart Hall School in Staunton, Virginia and the Ogontz School in Rydal, Pennsylvania. She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Florence, the Alamance Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Hypathian Literary Club, the Maud Lindsay Free Kindergarten Club, Kennedy Douglass Center for the Arts and the Shoals Master Gardners. Awards from this fund shall be used exclusively for scholarships for students in the Department of Foreign Language.